Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Getting By With a Little Help... From Myself...

So my fitness journey... and really everything else that I enjoy doing... has been essentially non-existent since about March.

It is amazing how you can find the smallest of excuses to not do what it right for you.  And when I say "You" I actually mean "ME"!  I injured my foot in January at about mile 10 of a half marathon.  I was working the Dopey Challenge for those of you who are familiar with the Disney races.  BTW... More posts on the rest of our Disney trip in the very near future :) 

Well, as of April, it was still giving me problems so I started doctor visits to figure out what my problem was.  During that time, I used that as my excuse to not go to the gym... even though my doctor said I could still work out as long as I wasn't doing heavy cardio... so like walking, eliptical, etc would have been ok.  Nope... not me.  My foot was injured so I couldn't do anything.  On top of it my eating has just spun completely out of control.  To the point that when I stepped on the scale about 2 weeks ago it displayed the heaviest weight that I've ever been in my entire life.  I also noticed that I am huffing and puffing going up stairs again and can hardly bend over to put on my own socks and shoes!  Well, I think that was the wake up call I needed. 
 
I've spent the last 2 weeks just trying to get my head back in the game.  Not eating particularly well, but also not eating horribly.  Last week I was in Michigan visiting my family and had a bit of a come to Jesus talk with my mom.  My mom has also struggled with her weight as long as I can remember and has basically tried just about every crazy diet out there.  You name it... Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, NutriSystem, SlimFast, Juice Diet, Cabbage Soup Diet, Atkins... Some she had a lot of success with and others not so much, but the weight always came back.  Last summer she losst 30 lbs when the hospital she works at did their Weight Waters at work program.  They are starting it up again and she just signed back up.  So, I figured, even though I live in New Jersey, that I would sign up for WW again myself and we would be long distance WW buddies.  I lost 30 lbs on WW back in 2008 for my wedding so I know it works for me as long as I'm eating the right foods.

Well, just signing up online seemed to be the motivation I needed to at least start eating right, even though I'm not going to my first meeting until this Sunday and haven't officially started tracking yet.  I signed up on 8/24 and have already lost 8.8 lbs just by making a few better choices.

I have some other reasons that I need to get my shit together for.  My husband is deploying next week.  And I know that if I don't take care of myself that I won't be able to take care of our son or our household.  When I was losing weight last year, I was able to run around with Marshall without getting tired or winded.  Currently I can barely keep up with him without the need to sit down.  That is no good.  I heard the term "inside mom" and "outside mom" on Facebook the other day.  Well, I don't want to be an "inside mom".  I want to be an "outside mom"!

Oh... yeah... and we're going to Cancun in December!  We usually join my mom, sister, and brother's family for some type a vacation every 1 - 2 years since we only really see each other 1 - 2 times a year.  A few years ago we went to Myrtle Beach for the week and had a blast.  Well, this year, my mom was able to get her timeshare booked for Cancun in December.  I'm sad that my husband won't be able to join us, but it will be nice to spend the time relaxing with my family during the Christmas season.  So, I would like to at least be a little bit comfortable with myself for hanging around on the beach.

So there you have it.  I'm spending this weekend getting myself organized and setting some goals.  I'll be back to report what I'm hoping to accomplish for September!

Enjoy the last days of Summer!

~AKO
 

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Stick with it! You can do it :) my aunt did WW and lost just over 50 pounds so far! Just remember it's a lifestyle change, not a diet! You go girl!

xo Nicole
www.damatoadventures.blogspot.com

If you're on bloglovin I would love for you to follow my blog! <3

Unknown said...

You can do this!! Looking forward to following your journey!

Pamela said...

Good luck with your journey! I know you can do it! Getting your head back in the game is the hardest part of the fitness journey. You can do it though!

jane said...

Thank for your beautiful view share,I will come again look new post