Saturday, March 13, 2010

Germany: Day 1

When we woke this morning, it was raining. And I'm not talking about that pretty spring rain that cools the air. We're talking monsoon flood the streets weather! In addition, today is Day 1 of Freddy's AT in Germany. Or it was supposed to be. I dropped him off at the ARNG Armory in Brooklyn around noon for his 1:00pm formation.

When I returned home, Michelle and I decided to head out to Somerton for a craft fair. So we set out in the monsoon that had only gotten worse for the hour car ride.

Expecting a high school fundraiser in a gymnasium, we were pleasantly surprised to find that it was a real craft show in an expo center. So we proceeded to wonder through and saw some cool stuff. Most importantly, a homemade pumpkin roll :) Just think of it as pumpkin bread in a roll with cream cheese frosting in the middle. Or HEAVEN!

On our way back, I get a call from Freddy. They are at the airport but their flight has been delayed. He'll keep me posted.

Relying on our fantastic navigational skills, Michelle and I somehow drove right past Jersey City and ended up in Woodbridge and Linden. It is still a monsoon we're driving in! We're thinking that Hoboken is probably underwater by now. We happen across a Chevy's! For those of you who don't know, Chevy's is pretty much my favorite restaurant right behind La Seniorita's. So we decide to stop for dinner. Still raining...

At some point during dinner, Freddy calls. Still delayed. It is now after 6:00pm. After dinner we head back home, which is only a 20 minute drive. It turned into a 60 minute drive thanks to a lovely detour courtesy of the Jersey City police department. Freddy calls again. Their flight is now cancelled but they are trying to get them on another flight and he'll keep me posted.

In the middle of all this, I start feeling nauseous. Most likely a combination of the bad hotdog I ate at the craft show, the driving in circles while we were lost, and eating my weight in Mexican food. When I get home, I want nothing more than to just crawl into bed and lay there. But I have to stay awake in case I have to make the trek to the Armory or JFK to pick up Freddy.

It is now 10:00pm and the wind is blowing so hard I can't even hear the TV. Still raining. Freddy just called and they are now not leaving for Germany until Monday afternoon. He is staying at his sister's house tonight and then coming home tomorrow only to have to turn around and head back to the Armory on Monday afternoon.

BTW... still raining...

And just to think, two weeks ago we were watching the sunset in Key West...