Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year and 2011 Goals

Marshall enjoyed his first new year with a bottle and a nap! Now we're ready to cheer on the Michigan Wolverines in the Gator Bowl. No Spartan Green in this household!


Marshall's 1st New Year


We rang in the new year cozy in our living room with the Back to the Future trilogy. Marshall was asleep by 10:30pm and we didn't make it much past 1:00am. With the new year beginning, I've put together my list of goals for 2011, along with some background. These are in no particular order. Whenever I address something related to these goals I'll add the label "2011 Goals".

1. Become PMP certified

The PMP is the official Project Management Professional certification. It follows the Project Management Institute's (PMI) documented Project Management Body of Knowledge, which is a 400 page book. You need to have 35 hours of PM training in addition to documented 4500 hours of leading projects. It also costs $400 just to sit for the test. I've been saying that I'm going to take this test for the past three years now. I took the first step a few months ago and joined the PMI, which is $119 per year. I've been a Project Manager for 8 years now so I definitely want something to show for it. In addition, while my employer does not require it, there are some that do and I would hate to be overlooked for a job because I am not PMP certified.

2. Start my Masters Degree

My employer reimburses a lot of the cost of a Masters Degree program as long as it pertains to my job. I figure it would be stupid to not take advantage of this while I can. I'm thinking of pursuing a Management Information Systems degree, but I haven't decided yet. I hope to start classes in the fall.

3. Read at least 50 books

This is pretty self explanatory. I used to read all the time and it has fallen by the wayside the past few years. I have a lot of free time with the need to take public transportation. Maybe I'll break down and buy a Kindle :)

4. Organize and get rid of the clutter

We took the first step here and rented a storage unit yesterday. We have too many things that we can't really get rid of but that we don't use regularly. If we had a house I would just store this stuff in our basement or garage. Plus, we have a growing pile of baby supplies that need somewhere to live. So, over the next 2 - 3 weeks, we are going to reorganize our apartment, get rid of the clutter, and put what we don't use daily in storage temporarily. Along the way I'll be getting rid of stuff that we don't need or use anymore. When I cleaned my closet 4 months ago I ended up with 4 garbage bags of stuff that went to GoodWill. Oh...and I got a label maker for Christmas :)

5. Start process of buying a new home

2011 will be the year for us! I know the home buying process can be lengthy so as long as we have actively started the process I will be satisfied. Of course, closing on that house this year would be an added bonus.

6. Lose 30 lbs

I think this is a reasonable goal for 12 months. It won't put me at my goal weight but it will have me on my way. My first goal is to lose the last 15lbs of baby weight and then go from there. I plan on using Weight Watchers again and will post my progress each week whether it is good or bad.

7. Start my photography business

I think photography will always be a hobby for me so I'm planning to start with an Etsy shop and see how that goes.

8. Finish the following cross-stitch projects: Marshall, Tigers, Pistons

These projects would have been completed before Christmas had Marshall not arrived early. So I plan to finish them up this year... hopefully by June at the latest.

9. Join and become active in a parenting group

I'd like to make some other friends with small children this year and what better way than to join a parenting group.

10. Complete 30 day workout challenge in the WII Active

I LOVE my WII Active. I've started the 30 day workout challenge a few times and never finished it. Something always seems to come up and I never get back to it. I would like to complete it at least once this year.

11. New mattress

Our mattress is 10 years old. 'Nuff said.

12. Weekly Task Lists

I don't know why I've never incorporated this at home since task lists rule my day at work. At the beginning of the week I'm going to write down what needs to be complete and add to it as things come up. If something doesn't get done it will just be moved to the list for the next week. I'm hoping this will help get my personal life a little more organized.

13. Cook 3 nights a week

We spend too much money eating out. Period.

14. Start scrapbooking projects: Wedding, Putties, Honeymoon, Marshall

I don't plan to have these all completed by the end of the year, but I would at least like to have them started.

15. Marshall's baby book

I've been collecting stuff for his book and it is all laying in a pile. All I need to do is just sit down and get it done.

16. Track and organize finances

A couple years ago a made a spreadsheet to help get my credit cards paid off. It really helped to see everything all in one place so I'm going to try and do something for all of our bills. I haven't decided if I'm going to creat my own or find something online to use.

17. Photograph more

I want to take more pictures this year. I especially want to make sure we don't miss anything while Marshall is growing up.

18. Bake More

I would like to start baking more. I have all the cool Pampered Chef supplies so I just need to start using them.

19. Take better care of myself.

I need to start taking some time out for myself. Even if it is just a few minutes.

20. Make family plans at least 2 weekends per month.

I want to make sure we are getting Marshall out and involved in activities whenever possible. This could include just getting out and going to the park for a day.

I hope everyone makes the best of 2011!

~AKO

0 comments: