Monday, January 31, 2011

Operation Baby Schedule: Day 1

I am scheduled to return to work in 16 days. I can't believe how fast my leave has gone by. I have some mixed feelings about returning to work. On one hand, I want to stay home with my baby to watch him grow everyday. On the other hand, I'm eagar to return to work and continue on with my projects and duties. I spoke briefly with one of my co-managers a couple weeks ago and A LOT has changed over the past three months so there will definitely be some catch up required on my end.

In preparation for my return to work, we've started to really focus on getting somewhat on a schedule since he will be going to daycare. What I've been doing is just letting him wake up when he's ready as well as fall asleep for naps whenever he's ready. We started to try and actually put him down for naps at specific times. In addition, we moved him from his bassinet to his crib last night. Now only is he almost too long for the bassinet, but he'll be in a crib at his daycare so we wanted him to get used to sleeping in one.

Don't judge... he'll only sleep on his tummy. We've tried since we brought him home to get him to sleep on his back and he just lays there and screams.


Sleepy Baby


Our day went something like this...

6:40am: Marshall woke up afteer sleeping straight through the night. He had gone to bed the night before around 9:00pm.

6:40-7:00am: Diaper change and feeding. Normally I would have tried to put him back to sleep and get some more sleep myself after he was done but we got up and started moving instead.

7:00-8:00am: We played in the living room and worked on head control.

8:00-8:25am: Spent some time walking around the apartment and looking at stuff.

8:25-10:30am: Put down for morning nap. Marshall actually fell asleep a few minutes after I laid him down.

10:30-11:00am: Diaper change and feeding.

11:00am-12:00pm: Had some quiet time in the swing. Marshall loves to stare at himself in the metallic dome that is above his head on the swing.

12:00-1:00pm: Marshall got tired of sitting in the swing so we walked around the apartment some more looking at stuff. We can't wait for warmer weather and then we'll be able to walk outside to look at lots of stuff.

1:00-1:45pm: Put down for afternoon nap. I would have like him to have slept for at least a full hours but I guess you take what you can get.

1:45 - 2:30pm: Diaper change and feeding.

2:30-3:45pm: Played some more. Marshall is starting to reach for things so we spent some time trying to hold onto some of his teething rings.

3:45-5:30pm: Put down for 2nd afternoon nap.

5:30-6:30pm: Diaper change and feeding.

6:30-7:45pm: Daddy spent some time playing with baby.

7:45pm: We started the process to try and get him down for the night, but he was pretty fussy and didn't fall asleep until almost 10:00pm. I finally had to turn all the lights off in the room and rock/walk him around the room before he fell asleep.

I would say not too bad for the first day. Of course, he woke up this morning as usual around 4:00am and didn't fall back to sleep until almost 6:00am. I had plans to get up myself around 7:00am but ended up sleeping right through the alarm :( His naps have been kind of sporadic today. After a week we'll see we're at.

~AKO

3 comments:

I'm That Mommy said...

Good job on day one! I've tried putting Reilly on a schedule just for myself but she fights it. It made me laugh when you wrote "walked around apartment and looked at stuff." Ha!!

Skye said...

Good thinking with the schedule... I know some don't agree with it but I think for us, it was the only way to go. Julianna was on a schedule the day she came home from the hospital and slept through the nigth since 7 weeks old. We did something called "Babywise" (which actually sounds close to what your are doing ... Nap time - Eat - Awake time!) Keep it up! I know what you mean about returning to work. There are some thngs that drew me back for sure - but part of me wishes I could have stayed home. :)
I love the picture of Marshall sleeping on his belly - sooo cute! Well I think you know I love sleeping baby pictures by now LOL

Crystal said...

OMGosh could he be any cuter laying in that crib??!!! I can't even handle it...I think my womb just skipped a beat!!!!